[svlug] PDA with mobile phone & ssh

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Jun 23 14:47:43 PDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:35:06 -0700
Jeffrey Siegal <jbs at quiotix.com> wrote:

> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >>Any Java applet for phones like nokia 3650 can run ssh?
> >
> > Dunno about Java, but 3 seconds with Google:
> >
> >     http://www.google.com/search?q=ssh+nokia

Just for Communicator that seems too much for my needs.

> Another 3 seconds turns up several Java ssh clients.  I have no idea
> if any of those will work on nokia 3560.  I've used the Mindterm one
> with the Sun JRE.

Yes, the problem is: do they work?
I basically need an agenda, a calendar, a block notes and an email
client on my mobile.
All this should play nice with Linux.

I would also apreciate to have an ssh client but it seems that this
requires at least a Java enabled mobile or a full featured mini-PC like
Zaurus.

I'm not sure there are Java enabled phones that can *really* run ssh.
Maybe there are Java ssh clients but I'm not sure they can run on a Java
enabled mobile.

A more expensive toy would be a symbian PDA. They should be able to run
Top Gun ssh client but the reviews I read were not that stimulating to
be worth the extra cost of such a box just for a slow ssh 1. Neverthless
Palm and palm-like PDA play nice with Linux. I saw very nice Handspring
PDA.

The most expensive solution would be a mini-PC like Zaurus with
integrated phone but it may be too expensive for what I really need and
too big to carry everyday.

So I could rephrase my questions:
anyone own a device that works like a mobile, has an agenda, a calendar,
an email client, can be syncronized with Linux and can run an ssh
client? what is it? are you satisfied?
Do you have a similar device missing one of the features listed above?
what is it? are you satisfied?

--
Salve
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo