[svlug] Linux on the desktop...

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Mon Jun 9 15:18:22 PDT 2003

dmarti at zgp.org wrote:

>begin Rafael Skodlar quotation of Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:02:20PM -0700:
>

>>Why not try commercial middleware that allows you to run windows
>>programs on Linux? VMware works OK, not on the latest RH9.0 for example
>>but the end user doesn't need to have the latest OS anyway.
>>

>Well, if you want to try to make a  list of ways to have Win32 and
>X applications on the same display at the same time, it could get
>pretty long:
>
>VMWare
>
>CrossOver Office

Yes, we use this and it helps us not reboot.

>VNC
>
>X server for Win32
>http://www.starnet.com/
>
>Citrix
>http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downloads/index.asp

Yes I have heard of these and such.

Point is that despite some some vocal people, and some early
configuration difficulties that came with some inexperience on my part,
Linux is working well for us here. We only have but a few applications
that work only in Windows and a few applications that only work in
Linux.  We also found ways to get things to work in Linux, and that was
only because I have the goal of using Linux exclusively in mind. If I
had Citrix as a cruch, maybe I wouldn't have tried.

Anyway, my office is but a small sample of what is out there.

Cheers,

James Leone