[svlug] rbl-ing .forwarded emails

Justin F. Knotzke jknotzke at shampoo.ca
Thu Jul 31 11:22:55 PDT 2003

<quote who=Walt Reed date=[030731 14:08]/>

> MTA level filtering really needs to happen at the ORIGINAL site of
> reception. Once it gets into one of your inboxes, your best option is to
> just /dev/null it.

   Ok, that's sorta what I figured. RBL checking at the MTA level is
tricky business. I tried out trustic for about 3 hrs and it refused 5
messages in those 3 hours that I know are from legit addresses.

   The other problem I am having is how to block mail at the MTA level
using an RBL that wasn't forwarded. I _think_ exim has a "trusted" list
that allows me to bypass rbl checking: (ie if it comes from this address
don't bother rbl checking).

   I'll have to dig through the exim docs to find that param.

   It just seems to me that sending spam to /dev/null isn't going to
stop SPAM, its only going to stop me from seeing it..

   Thanks again,

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke at shampoo.ca
http://www.shampoo.ca