[svlug] rbl-ing .forwarded emails

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Thu Jul 31 11:03:49 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:54:04PM -0400, Justin F. Knotzke said:
>    I've decided to start filtering SPAM at the MTA level (Exim in my
> case) and I am wondering what the proper Netiquette is regarding
> .forwarded messages.
>
>    I have two other email accounts that I have forwarded automatically
> to my main address. One of these two addresses receives a whack of SPAM.
> I use Spambayes to filter them out quite successfully. However, I'd like
> to block them at the MTA level. The problem is given that the mail is
> blocked at my main address and not the address that actually received
> the SPAM, I would be blocking mail from one of my accounts MTA's and not
> the spammer's MTA.
>
>    I can't filter mail from the address that is presently forwarded.
> What is the proper Netiquette for this situation?

Yeah, you probably don't want to do that. Since so much spam is using
forged addresses, you are going to end up putting the burden on the
administrator of your forwarded accounts to handle all the failed
bounces. They will probably frown on that.

MTA level filtering really needs to happen at the ORIGINAL site of
reception. Once it gets into one of your inboxes, your best option is to
just /dev/null it.