[svlug] Is RH-9 binary compatible to RH-8?

M. Drew Streib dtype at dtype.org
Wed Jul 30 10:18:09 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:10:56AM -0700, Roland Krause wrote:
> I am asking because the Intel Fortran compiler does not support RH-9
> but I was hoping that the statically linked executables would still
> run.

Except in rare cases, static executables should run without fail.
You will have obviously taken care of any library incompatibilities
with the static link. (I'd even venture that in all likelihood even
allowing the dynamic link to major libraries will still work.)

There are some other things to consider, depending on how much of
the system your program touches. Does it look at /proc? Does it
require certain files or executable programs to be in certain places
with certain behavior? (aka sendmail, cron, etc...) For a list of
things LSB encompasses for binary compatibility see linuxbase.org.
That should give you at least some checklists to give you some
peace of mind you've covered the basics.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype at dtype.org>
Independent Rambler, Software/Standards/Freedom/Law -- http://dtype.org/