[svlug] connecting to router console via parallel port

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 24 14:24:44 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 06:35:06AM -0400, Kabir Khan wrote:
> but I do have a parallel to cat5 adapter plug.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those plugs are usually RJ45 to DB25
_serial_.

While it may be possible to bit bang the parallel port into behaving
enough like a serial port for your router, I can't find any examples of
this being done (although there are references to doing so on
deja/google).  You can, however, buy serial to parallel converters that
do all the work in hardware.

Can't you configure everything over ethernet?  If not, can you do some
minimal setup over some borrowed serial equipment, and do the rest over
ethernet?

-rick