[svlug] mkraid and choosing a good chunk size

George Georgalis georgw at galis.org
Wed Jul 23 14:58:50 PDT 2003

since I must use a somewhat old mkraid, I'm specifying a chunk-size in
the raidtab, rather than with -c8k per current mkraid doc.

regardless, I'm still not sure what is a good size or how to make a
good decision. I'm using two disks with 3 partitions each. / and /usr
are raid1 and /media is raid0. I'm looking to have fast read access to
/media and high availability for / and /usr (if /media fails, will fall
over to NFS and limp along). There may be 100s of files in /media (not
1000s) and 70% of the files will be 50 to 250Mb range.

So what's chunk-size and how can I use it to optimize the setup?

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george at galis.org
Multimedia, DB, DNS and Metrics.       http://www.galis.org/george