[svlug] 137GB HD limit?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jul 22 15:36:38 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 07:37:11AM -0700, Bryan K. Watson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 01:53, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >    Is there a 137GB HD limit in linux kernel? It looks like I can only
> > access about that much of 250GB SATA (Serial ATA drive).
>
> Probably a BIOS limitation.  Many (even current) BIOS don't support that
> large of an HD.  This applies to any OS that you use on it.  It has to
> do with the number of bits allocated to address the drive. 2^28*512.

That was my thought at first, too.  I had to run some BIOS-flashing software on my
PC to get my 120GB drive to work, when I bought it.  (The BIOS software from my
motherboard manufacturer was MSDOS-based, so I had to make a DOS boot floppy and
run it from there.  I think I used 'FreeDOS' or some-such.)

OTOH, though, I believe Erik said the drive works fine under Windows.
My assumption was that he's dual-booting, and therefore the BIOS is fine
(since Windows can see all 137GB).

Indeed, though, it could have been under Windows on an entirely different box
(one whose BIOS doesn't have the 137GB limit).  Or, perhaps Windows itself might
have some way of getting around the BIOS limitation.  (I obviously don't use
or know much about Windows, personally :^) )

Good luck!

-bill!

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!