[svlug] 137GB HD limit?

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Tue Jul 22 13:35:02 PDT 2003

J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:53:15 -0700
> Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>

>>Is there a 137GB HD limit in linux kernel? It looks like I can only
>>access about that much of 250GB SATA (Serial ATA drive).
>

> My understanding is that you need to rebuild your kernel with the
> options for your IDE chipset.

   that's what I did - the first kernel that has driver for SATA is
2.4.21-ac4. Otherwise the disk is not recognized at all (and system
hangs during boot). Now the disk is recognized (as 250GB) but can only
read (lower) 137GB.

>>BTW this is on debian unstable with 2.4.21-ac4 kernel (that's the one
>>that has SATA driver), MB is intel D865PERL, Maxtor SATA HD (250GTB).
>

> No idea.  I've never run a system for more than a day or so with a
> kernel I didn't build from raw sources.

   well, that's what I did... (that's debian unstable with custom build
2.4.21-ac4 with SATA enabled)

   I am trying to find some info about status of SATA driver (that is
included in ac4 kernel), so far didn't find anything interesting (few
messages on lkml but not directly related to my problem)

	erik