[svlug] Cross-platform GUIs

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jul 22 08:53:11 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:20:50 -0700 (PDT)
Akbar Ahmed <akbar_svlug at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Which technologies would you recommend for cross-platform GUI
> development?

For compiled apps WxWindows appears the most recommended.  My tendency
however would be for python + python-TK.  Simple, clean, functional,
very workable.

> What are the benefits of the technology you recommend, and what are
> the drawbacks?

Some people don't like the TK widgets, both aesthetically and
functionally.  They do tend to be somewhat clunky in appearance.  TK is
also not particularly theme-able which further annoys some people.  From
a code perspective TK is fairly clean, very simple, and even somewhat
elegant in design.  Certainly it gets the job done.

  ObNote: I don't give a rats for use of native widget sets, abstract
  widget aesthetics or theme-ability and so give those concerns zero
  ratings for my own judgment process.

As for the choice between C++ and Python?  I've done a lot of C++ work,
and generally consider it only barely more acceptable than perl.  If I
had to go compiled I'd use C.  If I had any choice I'd use Python or one
of the other scripting languages (scheme, OCaML, Ruby, E, etc).

--
J C Lawrence