[svlug] Re: Paleontological Musings On Tux

Ian MacLure ibm1130 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 07:58:02 PDT 2003

>Was unpacking from my recent move back to SV and I
>came across an old piece of technological ephemera.
>To whit a UNIX pocket guide issued by Link Advanced
>Products Division, an entity once housed in what is
>now the Fry's in Sunnyvale and for whose parent I
once
>toiled in upstate NY. Not sure where I got the thing.
>The booklet is dated Aug 1983 and on the front cover
>is a small cartoon of a penguin in front of a
computer
>console.

    The mystery has apparently been solved.
    Had a short exchange with Steve Baker,
    keeper of the Complete History Of Tux

    http://www.sjbaker.org/tux/

    who is, coincidentally, also a Link alumnus.

    He explains that Link Flight Simulation used
    the Penguin as a mascot for their tech pubs
    department on the principle that being as Link
    were in the business of making flightless
airplanes
    ie: simulators, it was entirely appropriate to
    have a flightless bird as a mascot.
    In that period of the 70's and 80's most if not
    all tech pubs were therefore decorated with a
    penguin.

    Gets even more interesting as there is another
    aviation connection for the term penguin.

    In the early days of WWI, those folks in that
    country bordered by Belgium, Germany, Switzerland,
    Italy and Spain used to train incipient pilots on
    airframes from which the wings had been removed to
    prevent inadvertent flight. Care to guess what
they
    called these contraptions?

    IBM