[svlug] 137GB HD limit?

Bryan K. Watson bwatson at nettracers.com
Tue Jul 22 07:37:15 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 01:53, Erik Steffl wrote:
>    Is there a 137GB HD limit in linux kernel? It looks like I can only
> access about that much of 250GB SATA (Serial ATA drive).

Probably a BIOS limitation.  Many (even current) BIOS don't support that
large of an HD.  This applies to any OS that you use on it.  It has to
do with the number of bits allocated to address the drive. 2^28*512.

Some older articles on the issue -
http://www.microsense.com/Beyond-84.htm   :

"The current ATA interface uses 28 bit addressing which supports drives
that are 2^28 X 512 bytes or 137 GB"

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/137/os/win98.html

-Bryan