[svlug] Cross-platform GUIs

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jul 22 00:42:56 PDT 2003

[argh! keep forgetting to [L]ist reply!]

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:20:50AM -0700, Akbar Ahmed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which technologies would you recommend for
> cross-platform GUI development?

Personally, _I_ use SDL.  But it's less GUI and more game/multimedia
oriented.

> I would prefer full-blown (fat) clients. Language of
> choice is C++. The current target platforms are
> Windows 2000/XP pro, and Linux (RH 8+, Suse 8+).

Your best bet is either Trolltech's Qt (upon which KDE and friends are
based; also related to Qtopia, used on the Sharp Zaurus and other Linux-based
PDAs), or wxWindows.

> What are the benefits of the technology you recommend,
> and what are the drawbacks?

*shrug*

> I have been going over this issue for sometime and I'm
> ready to learn from other people's experience.
>
> I know of the following options:
> Qt
> Java
> HTML
> Mozilla's XUL
> Borland C++ Builder + Kylix
> Flash

Ah, yes, these'd work, too. ;^)  I think I've heard wxWindows is nice in that
applications look native.  (e.g., on Windows, it looks like a Windows app,
rather than looking like a 'Qt' app.)

-bill!

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!