[svlug] Serial ATA fun (bad blocks)

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Sun Jul 20 00:55:43 PDT 2003

   kernel 2.4.21-ac4
   Intel D865PERL motherboard (with SATA interface)
   Maxtor 260GB SATA HD

   after compiling the ac kernel the SATA disk was recognized and I
could create filesystem and mount the disk. However soon after starting
to write the data I got lots of errors. So I ran badblocks:

jojda:/home/erik# badblocks -s -v -w -c 64 -o badblocks.out /dev/sda
Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
 From block 0 to 245117376
Testing with pattern 0xaa: done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0x55: done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0xff: done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0x00: done
Reading and comparing: done
Pass completed, 110899617 bad blocks found.

   That looks like half the disk is unreadable (from 134217772 to
245117375, even though I didn't check whether every single block in that
range is bad). Could it be a problem of new SATA driver? Or some other
problem related to the size of the disk?

   I googled SATA, searched kernel mailing list archives, read (pretty
much obsolete) Large disk HOWTO... found nothing

   (it could be bad disk, I am going to boot the other os and see if the
CD that came with disk helps...)

	erik