[svlug] Paleontological Musings on Tux.

Ian MacLure ibm1130 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 23:32:05 PDT 2003

Was unpacking from my recent move back to SV and I
came across an old piece of technological ephemera.
To whit a UNIX pocket guide issued by Link Advanced
Products Division, an entity once housed in what is
now the Fry's in Sunnyvale and for whose parent I once
toiled in upstate NY. Not sure where I got the thing.
The booklet is dated Aug 1983 and on the front cover
is a small cartoon of a penguin in front of a computer
console.
Now its highly unlikely Linus ever saw a copy of the
booklet although Finnair did have some Link built
flight simulators at one point in the correct 90's
timeframe and some of them may have been hosted on
UNIX boxes ( Motorola board sets in Schroff boxes
with 68010 or 68015 chips for CPUs IIRC )
It is however kind of interesting that he wasn't the
first person to associate our mascot with the Unix
continuum.
A later version of the same booklet is a much slicker
product but is minus the cartoon and the Link APO
attribution.

IBM