[svlug] Linux an "upstart"?

Steve Hindle steve at itsage.com
Sat Jul 19 17:09:46 PDT 2003

Hmm... we seem to have different ideas of a what a 'desktop user' is and
what constitutes 'server' software.

You specifically mention Apache, IMAP, and a few other that definately fall
in the 'server' category, IMHO.  How many 'desktop users' do you know that
run there own mail and web servers?  Typically they get these services from
their ISP (or the IT guys at work handle it for them, if its for the
office).  Other things you mention such as crossover office, are definately
focused at the 'desktop user'.

So I would be curious to know: How much trouble do you have with more
traditional desktop apps Vs. server apps?  For Agruements sake, lets
consider desktop apps to be things such as OpenOffice (Office
Productivity), Evolution (Email apps), Gimp, games, etc.
The sorts of thing you find installed on a typical home or office
pc.  In the server category, lets look at things such as mail services(
both MTA such as sendmail/postfix and mail stores such as POP3 and IMAP),
web services, VPN's, etc.  There are some 'in-between' services such as
firewalling and Samba - but lets skip them for now.  With these sorts of
definitions - How much trouble do you have with desktop apps and how much
with server apps ?

btw - the reason I'm so interested is this is it's how I make my living.
I've had plenty of contracts to install 'services' but I've never had a job
to install end-user stuff.  Just wondering if maybe I should expand my
service offerings.

Oh - in regards to Debian.  Requiring a month to learn to use something
doesn't mean its an 'upstart' or its not 'easy to use'.  All products have
a learning curve.  New users require much more then a month to learn ANY
computer system - windows, MacOS/OS X, Linux, etc.  For instance, how long
does it take most people to figure out where to store new document
templates in Office - to make them available from the main selection
screen? Let alone the in's and outs of where things are set/stored.

I have to agree, Debian's installer shows it's age.  Distro's like Corel,
and Storm really had much nicer ones (*sigh* I miss Storm Linux).  As for
the old packages thing - just change your apt sources file to pull newer
ones.  Debian defaults to pulling from 'stable', but there are also
unstable, and testing - plus nightly builds from many projects. Throw them
in the sources list, and off you go :-) It's just a matter of how close to
the bleeding edge you want to live.

Steve

--On Saturday, July 19, 2003 1:15 PM -0700 James Leone
<linuxcpa at netscape.net> wrote:

> That's just an example of my point, for the desktop, Linux is upstart.
>
> James Leone

Stephen Hindle
I.T. Sage
"Enlightened Solutions for Open Minds"