[svlug] Linux an "upstart"?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Jul 19 05:35:18 PDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:51:55 -0700
James Leone <linuxcpa at netscape.net> wrote:
> claw at kanga.nu wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:31:45 -0700 James Leone
>> <linuxcpa at netscape.net> wrote:

>>> Struggling to use Linux on our desktops

>> I've been exclusively using Linux on the desktop at both home and at
>> work for 5 years now, non-exclusively for 6 (was also using OS/2,
>> HP-UX, and Solaris in the prior year)

> I remember that it was just you or someone else that spoke up saying
> that you alo use Linux as your desktop.....but still its hardly a
> majority...

Certainly.  Neither is Mac with OS X on the desktop.

> My point is not weather one or two people have accomplished a feat,
> but rather is the accomplishment common.  My point is that it is
> uncommon, and that's why I say that for the desktop, Linux is upstart.

It is a difficult value to track.  Are there as many desktop Linux users
as, say, desktop OS X users?  Probably not.  I wouldn't however be
surprised if the numbers were within 20% of each other.

The difference is the market segments and demographics of those desktop
user bases.

>>> I ususally only see non useful or broken GUI's in Linux.

>> Please define "non useful" and "broken" in this context.

> Its just common sense.

Actually, its not.  I can trivially think of at least three
significantly different "common sense" definitions, and suspect that
there are more out there.  I'd like to know which definition you're
using.

>>> phpgroupware (Unclear as to how this works) timesheet.php (Installs
>>> but doesn't work) Mozilla calander (Never seemed to work) Projekt
>>> (calander works, but not the billing or time entry) Qmail (Used to
>>> work - now it doesn't now I have to read a Novel "Life with Qmail"
>>> to get it to work) Squirrelmail (IMAP never works) IMAP (See
>>> squirrelmail)

>> I've used, administered, and installed several of these on various
>> systems (Linux and otherwise) to good result.

> Again, for Linux not to be upstart, it has to be useable by more than
> a handful of people.

How do you define a "handful", by gross percentage, by demographic, by
market segment penetration, by something else?

>> Have you considered that this might be a case of PEBKAC?

> Yes, and I found the idea rediculous. :-)

Of course.

--
J C Lawrence