[svlug] Linux an "upstart"?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jul 18 23:40:13 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:51:55PM -0700, James Leone wrote:

> I remember that it was just you or someone else that spoke up saying
> that you alo use Linux as your desktop.....but still its hardly a
> majority...
> My point is not weather one or two people have accomplished a feat, but
> rather is the accomplishment common.  My point is that it is uncommon,
> and that's why I say that for the desktop, Linux is upstart.

We're obviously getting off topic, here.  My original complaint was that
it's called "upstart" at _all_.  It obviously isn't...  not just counting
desktop (which is admittedly "not quite there yet"), there's huge
server space and growing embedded space to take into account.

My peeve is in the use of the term "upstart" for Linux _in_general_.

Anyway...

-bill!