[svlug] Linux an "upstart"?

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Fri Jul 18 23:36:57 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:51:55PM -0700, James Leone wrote:
> claw at kanga.nu wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:31:45 -0700
> >James Leone <linuxcpa at netscape.net> wrote:
> >>Struggling to use Linux on our desktops
> >I've been exclusively using Linux on the desktop at both home and at
> >work for 5 years now, non-exclusively for 6 (was also using OS/2, HP-UX,
> >and Solaris in the prior year)
>
> I remember that it was just you or someone else that spoke up saying
> that you alo use Linux as your desktop.....but still its hardly a
> majority...
> My point is not weather one or two people have accomplished a feat, but
> rather is the accomplishment common.  My point is that it is uncommon,
> and that's why I say that for the desktop, Linux is upstart.

Nonsense. With X Linux is way beyond "upstart" for long time. Uncommon
is VMS not Linux.

A lot of people don't even know they are using Linux in embedded boxes.

> >>I ususally only see non useful or broken GUI's in Linux.
> >>

> >Please define "non useful" and "broken" in this context.
> >

> Its just common sense.

Not sure what you mean. I switched to Linux in 1994 for home and office
use, that's anywhere I work. No major problems.

> >>phpgroupware (Unclear as to how this works) timesheet.php (Installs
> >>but doesn't work) Mozilla calander (Never seemed to work) Projekt
> >>(calander works, but not the billing or time entry) Qmail (Used to
> >>work - now it doesn't now I have to read a Novel "Life with Qmail" to
> >>get it to work) Squirrelmail (IMAP never works) IMAP (See
> >>squirrelmail)
> >>

> >I've used, administered, and installed several of these on various
> >systems (Linux and otherwise) to good result.
> >
> Again, for Linux not to be upstart, it has to be useable by more than a
> handful of people.

It's usable for the majority but they don't know what they are missing.
Just because majority is using point+click OS of mass destruction that
proves nothing.

--
Rafael