[svlug] Linux an "upstart"?

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Fri Jul 18 22:51:55 PDT 2003

claw at kanga.nu wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:31:45 -0700
>James Leone <linuxcpa at netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>ddhummel at pacbell.net wrote:
>>

>>>On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 02:51:38PM -0700, James Leone wrote:
>>>

>>Struggling to use Linux on our desktops
>>

>I've been exclusively using Linux on the desktop at both home and at
>work for 5 years now, non-exclusively for 6 (was also using OS/2, HP-UX,
>and Solaris in the prior year)

I remember that it was just you or someone else that spoke up saying
that you alo use Linux as your desktop.....but still its hardly a
majority...
My point is not weather one or two people have accomplished a feat, but
rather is the accomplishment common.  My point is that it is uncommon,
and that's why I say that for the desktop, Linux is upstart.

>>I ususally only see non useful or broken GUI's in Linux.
>>

>Please define "non useful" and "broken" in this context.

Its just common sense.

>>phpgroupware (Unclear as to how this works) timesheet.php (Installs
>>but doesn't work) Mozilla calander (Never seemed to work) Projekt
>>(calander works, but not the billing or time entry) Qmail (Used to
>>work - now it doesn't now I have to read a Novel "Life with Qmail" to
>>get it to work) Squirrelmail (IMAP never works) IMAP (See
>>squirrelmail)
>>

>I've used, administered, and installed several of these on various
>systems (Linux and otherwise) to good result.

Again, for Linux not to be upstart, it has to be useable by more than a
handful of people.

> Have you considered that this might be a case of PEBKAC?

Yes, and I found the idea rediculous. :-)

Cheers,

James Leone