[svlug] Linux an "upstart"?

David Hummel ddhummel at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 18 16:08:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 02:51:38PM -0700, James Leone wrote:

> Thanks to Samba, its far from upstart in server space.

Samba runs on other *nixes as well, and doesn't have much to do with the
maturity of Linux.  I think Bill was referring to Linux's maturity as a
bona fide OS, not it's ability to integrate with MS systems.

Nonetheless, I'm amazed and amused by some of the stuff people write
about Linux.  My favorite of late was this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20030715/tc_zd/44774

where Mr. Eric Nee of CIO Insight proclaims that Linux is a "nascent and
vulnerable operating system", and no this was not an opinion piece.
Where have these people been for the last few years?  Do they do any
research before they write?

> Windows is easy to use.

Yes, so easy that it requires very little knowledge of what your are
actually configuring.  Not so easy any more when that thing breaks, and
the nice gui configuration tool does not provide any usable facility for
troubleshooting or fixing it, and the option simply doesn't exist in the
cmd.exe.

> I want an alternative that is just as easy to use.

OK, but don't you think that once you've actually taken the time to
learn how to configure and use a certain program/package/technology in
Linux, it becomes straightforward and relatively _easy_ to do it again?

> However, Linux is a mess in other areas of server space.

I'm curious, can you provide some examples of what you are talking
about?

David Hummel
Genomics & Gene Discovery
WRRC/ARS/USDA