[svlug] enterprise linux?

Gordon Vrololjak gvrdolja at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jul 18 11:00:54 PDT 2003

Hello,
I'm hearing some licensing stuff in my work about enterprise linux with
Redhat.  I've been using as a _small_ server an older version of redhat, 5
or 6 and keeping up with updates.  I've never had any trouble with it by
using security such as portsentry and common sense stuff like disabling
anonymous ftp, monitoring sendmail/httpd configurations.

I was wondering how everyone feels about enterprise linux from Redhat, is
it worth the extra money?  Are there other more supportive distributions
for large servers?  I found mandrake better myself, but also was wondering
about SuSE.  What about using a desktop distribution and customizing it to
optimize for your uses yourself?

This is sort of new to me as I got used to buying one license and with
open source, you can just install it on many machines. Now I'm assuming
I'd have to a license for each server?

Does the enterprise editions follow the open source movement at all?  With
each distribution doing heavy customizing to optimize speed, performance,
and security (according to their website sales propaganda), do they hide
the customizations and configurations and not allow you to meddle with it?

Thanks for advice,
Gordon

Gordon Ante Vrdoljak                           	      Electron Microscope Lab
ICQ 23243541   http://nature.berkeley.edu/~gvrdolja   26 Giannini Hall
gvrdolja at nature.berkeley.edu                          UC Berkeley
phone (510) 642-2085                                  Berkeley CA 94720-3330
fax   (510) 643-6207 cell (510) 290-6793