[svlug] aol is being worse about taking mail

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Jul 13 21:46:28 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 08:28:09PM -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 06:51:51PM -0700, Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> >
> > That's absurd so don't twist my words since I do not accept email from
> > either one in general. I was saying that somebody with enough power
> > finaly decided to have it enough with clueless people sending email from
> > so called servers on fast (?) conections to the Internet. Remember that
> > average machine is based on more or less legal copy of Wxxx and prone to
> > hijacking for use in relaying spam.
>

> I'm going to assume you said the above in ignorance of the fact that
> MUAs (that's mail client to Joe Sixpack) can connect directly to the

So what's your problem? I don't have problems with AOL, hotmail or such
with email traffic in either way. I suggest you go to them if you want
to complain about their policy. I don't have anything to do with their
decission nor do I work there. Perhaps you'll have more success
complaining if you subscribe to their service using one of the CDs I get
each month from AOL. Free for asking.

Always wonder why some of you keep insulting Joe? Joe most likely uses
Exchange to send email to others.

> destination MX for delivery, without needing a server running on the
> mail client's system, or any intervening server.

That is the origin of the problem in eyes of AOL most likely. After
intensive study (?), they probably figured out that most spam happens to
come from dialup or non static DSL lines [1]. My experience is about the
same so I happen to agree with them that more spam comes that way so
block it. There is collateral damage obviously.

According to some studies some users receive over 60% of spam. Average
AOL user probably doesn't have a chance to setup a decent antispam
filter, much less have influence on mail servers. Select your poison.

World survived without direct email from dialups and such before 1994
and it can survive now.

Before you jump all over the place again I suggest once more, invite AOL
syadmin(s) to SVLUG meeting to talk about their antispam solutions or
reasons they stopped receiving email from systems with soft IPs. I'm
sure there is some level of technology they could discuss openly.

[1] And AOL itself I would add. That's why I'm not taking just any email
from them anymore.

> If you were in fact aware of this, I can only assume you're muckraking.

No.

I only carried stacks of RFCs numbered bellow 1000 in the warehouse over
the weekend and have not have time to read them yet.

> --
> Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
> mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org
> Systems & Network Admin                                SETI Institute
> http://bitshift.org                               http://www.seti.org

Let's stop wasting our time and go read RFCs and see what can be done
about that.

--
Rafael