[svlug] Saving streaming media

David E Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Sun Jul 13 19:42:45 PDT 2003

> So, given a video like this one:
> http://www.ntv.co.jp/channel/asx/hkzkt10.asx

I have experimented a little bit with mencoder to record the incoming
stream, but am also trying to do further encodings on the original source.
The quality isn't too terribly good - one probably needs to experiment with
cache settings.

If you can get to the actual IP you have a better chance, but many
don't want to give that.

$ mplayer mms://207.214.56.98/DrScott

It's an 80kbps or thereabouts stream, probably OK for testing purposes.

Then try the above with mencoder and a few options per the instructions
on http://www.mplayerhq.hu with respect to mencoder. I'm very newbie-ish
when it comes to this stuff. Once I get a DVD/CDRW (delivering tomorrow)
I can do more experimenting.

Backticks sometimes work too. i.e., mencoder `cat test.asx`.  : xine
seems to accept the asx file directly whereas mplayer wants to see the
contents.

I also have (g)transcode and gmencoder.

(cut/paste)

mplayer mms://wmt-od.stream.ne.jp/ntv/hkzkt/hkzkt10.wmv from the
opening lines of mplayer on another terminal screen. Just trying it
now, it takes a fairly long time to load and inexplccably stops in
one minute or so. Now if you subsitute mencoder for mplayer in that, plus
add a bunch of stuff it should be a starting point.

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.