[svlug] aol is being worse about taking mail

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Jul 13 18:51:51 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 12:57:15PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Rafael Skodlar quotation of Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 11:52:37AM -0700:
>
> > Finaly somebody with enough power on the
> > Internet stopped accepting mail from "servers" that have no business of
> > sending email if we want to keep spam at a reasonable level of
>
> OK, small businesses and independent mailing lists, you heard

Small businesses I've been involved in have static IPs.

> the man.  Give up.  The Internet is only for AOL and MSN now.

That's absurd so don't twist my words since I do not accept email from
either one in general. I was saying that somebody with enough power
finaly decided to have it enough with clueless people sending email from
so called servers on fast (?) conections to the Internet. Remember that
average machine is based on more or less legal copy of Wxxx and prone to
hijacking for use in relaying spam.

My mail makes it both ways with AOL without any problems so why should I
care about the dial-ups sending direct email to AOL? It's not up to us
to tell AOL how to run their business. As far as I know their SMTP
servers follow RFCs close enough for me to exchange email with their
users.

Invite AOL sysadmin(s) to talk about email issues at one of SVLUG
meetings. We might learn something. Or just give up as so many of you
seem to have.

> http://www.politechbot.com/p-04943.html

There is always going to be some collateral damage in this kind of
situations. So?

> End-to-end is over, SMTP is for plutocrats only.
>
> If anything takes away freedom of speech on the Internet, it will be
> shortsighted spam fighting.

That's why I'm against "legislative solutions" because they won't slow
down spam. Blocking dial-ups is obviously more effective in the short
run.

> Eugene Debs once said, "As long as there is a lower class I am in

He's probably dead so why should I care about?

> it, as long as there is a criminal element I am of it, as long as
> there is a soul in prison I am not free."  As long as there is a
> spam blacklist anywhere, 198.144.202.250 should be on it.  That is
> my mail server.   It has never sent spam, but if you want to block
> out all the riff-raff, here I am.  Block me first.

Art of noise.

> --
> Don Marti                Reform copyright law -- return abandoned works
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti   to the public domain after 50 years:
> dmarti at zgp.org           http://www.PetitionOnline.com/eldred/petition.html
> KG6INA

Enjoy the ongoing email chaos and go back to play with your "email
filters".

--
Rafael