[svlug] aol is being worse about taking mail

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Sun Jul 13 16:46:11 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:32:58PM -0400, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:17:14 -0700
> Mark C Langston <mark at bitshift.org> wrote:
>
> > I'll consider doing so when "my ISP"...
>
> There are solid reasons that I chose an ISP whose declared product and
> service sums to: We give you a wire that packets dribble out of.  Simple
> IP connectivity, no frills.
>
> While I accept that, and most of this list accept, are not JoeSizpack,
> few on this list need hand holding; we're quite capable of operating all
> the basic services ourselves (not that there are many of them).  You
> don't need an ISP, you just want a wire that routable packets drip out
> of -- something that should, by all rights, be the basic default,
> expected, service.

Exactly.  I don't want a service provider; I want basic packet transit.
Unfortunately, in terms of price v. performance (let alone availability
issues), the only solution that makes sense is a cable modem right now.

The only "service" I use from the provider is connectivity.  I don't
want, need, or use the FTP space, web space, newsgroups, email servers,
or anything else they offer.  The fact that they offer them should not
compel me to use them.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org