[svlug] aol is being worse about taking mail

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sun Jul 13 14:30:51 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 12:57:15PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Rafael Skodlar quotation of Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 11:52:37AM -0700:
>
> > Finaly somebody with enough power on the
> > Internet stopped accepting mail from "servers" that have no business of
> > sending email if we want to keep spam at a reasonable level of
>
> OK, small businesses and independent mailing lists, you heard
> the man.  Give up.  The Internet is only for AOL and MSN now.

Hi Don,

While I won't argue about the points of view you have expressed, I will just
say that the resolution of the problem is with the users. AOL's users are
free to leave AOL and find a service that does not block email. Freedom is
still in effect here the only place it needs to be. If enough AOL users
leave AOL, you can believe this practice will end promptly. If they don't,
then I can only conclude their users are OK with the policy.

Someone needs to start a campaign to educate AOL user's about their choices
as Internet consumers, with the goal of enlightening users so they decide to
leave AOL. If you folks are frustrated, then do something constructive.

cheers,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer