[svlug] aol is being worse about taking mail

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Jul 13 11:52:37 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 08:28:54AM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:

> Can you believe this! Now AOL won't accept mail that has a _hop_ on a
> dynamic subnet!

 I wish there was a way to get stats about spam problems from them
because it would make you think differently.

Sorry if this offends you but it's very good for AOL and the rest of us
that they too that measure IMO. Finaly somebody with enough power on the
Internet stopped accepting mail from "servers" that have no business of
sending email if we want to keep spam at a reasonable level of
tolerance, 1-3% in my case. I wish they would share their list of
blocked dial-ups etc. with the rest of us to cut the spam down.

If your connection uses dynamic IP then use your ISP to handle email
for you, no need for direct delivery from your PC.

"servers" with dynamic IPs are like pimps trying to push a card into
your hands in turist crowded areas. They move around and hide what they
are doing as soon as the cops come around.

> I route mail to aol via my ISPs smtp so it will reach the destination,
> now since the header contains a "Received" line with my dynamic ip, they
> reject it! Ha. Forget it, no more mail for aol friends, that sucks.

That's the way it should be and why would I trust a "server" where user
is hiding it behind this:

 whois galis.org
[Querying whois.publicinterestregistry.net]
[whois.publicinterestregistry.net]
Domain ID:D4153713-LROR
Domain Name:GALIS.ORG
Created On:14-Feb-1999 05:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:14-Feb-2003 16:36:49 UTC
Expiration Date:14-Feb-2004 05:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R63-LROR
Status:OK
Registrant ID:63-C
Registrant Name:SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Registrant Street1:Whois Server:whois.networksolutions.com
Registrant Street2:Referral URL:www.networksolutions.com
Registrant City:N/A
Registrant Postal Code:N/A
Registrant Country:CA
Registrant Email:not at available.org
Admin ID:63-C
Admin Name:SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Admin Street1:Whois Server:whois.networksolutions.com
Admin Street2:Referral URL:www.networksolutions.com
Admin City:N/A
Admin Postal Code:N/A
Admin Country:CA
Admin Email:not at available.org
Billing ID:63-C
Billing Name:SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Billing Street1:Whois Server:whois.networksolutions.com
Billing Street2:Referral URL:www.networksolutions.com
Billing City:N/A
Billing Postal Code:N/A
Billing Country:CA
Billing Email:not at available.org
Tech ID:63-C
Tech Name:SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Tech Street1:Whois Server:whois.networksolutions.com
Tech Street2:Referral URL:www.networksolutions.com
Tech City:N/A
Tech Postal Code:N/A
Tech Country:CA
Tech Email:not at available.org
Name Server:NS1.HE.NET
Name Server:NS2.HE.NET
Name Server:NS3.HE.NET

Not a single line of useful information to contact a person in case
there is admin issue that needs to be resolved.

Most spammers start sending their messages connected to dial up or DSL
and use open relays elsewhere so it's reasonable to not allow
email connections from them.

When all is said, legislated, and technicaly done, most email will only
flow between "trusted servers", ie. there will be a way to authenticate
the originator of email otherwise we will have over 90% of spam as is
the case with some news groups.

While there is strong demand for legal solution to spam problem it's my
strong belief that legislation is not the way to go. Only technology can
solve the problem that was created by it in the first place. The
solution is in the improved protocol and that's what most people should
concentrate on.

--
Rafael
Static IP, now we are talking.