[svlug] Stupd X Display question

Larry Colen lrclug at red4est.com
Fri Jul 11 14:54:02 PDT 2003

I've got a Sony Vaio PCG fx190k that I'm running Debian 3.0 (Woody?)
on. I've got various odd problems. One is so simple that every bit of
documentation on it seems to assume something that I'm apparantly
missing.

gvaiocontrols needs to be run as root. Gtk won't let me run programs
suid.  I opened an Xwindow. I did an
su -
to log in as root. When I try to run gvaiocontrols I get:

unsigned:/etc/X11# gvaiocontrols

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:0

(that was after playing with DISPLAY, but I got substantially the same
error message no matter what I did)

Just checking $DISPLAY when logged in as lrc:
bash-2.05a$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

I've also tried playing with xhost, but that didn't seem to work
either:

bash-2.05a$ xhost root
xhost:  bad hostname "root"
bash-2.05a$ xhost root@
root@ being added to access control list
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  109 (X_ChangeHosts)
  Value in failed request:  0xfe
  Serial number of failed request:  7
bash-2.05a$ xhost + root at localhost
root at localhost being added to access control list
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  109 (X_ChangeHosts)
  Value in failed request:  0xfe
  Serial number of failed request:  7

I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.
lrc at red4est.com                                    http://www.red4est.com/lrc