[svlug] 2 part Linux question

Donald K. Wilson dkw at red4est.com
Thu Jul 10 10:22:49 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 09:13:45AM -0700, Ira Weiny wrote:
> I understand the security aspects but what if we have some drives which were
> duplicated using a drive duplicator and we think the drive duplicator is not
> working correctly?

[snip...]

> I have used dd before and it was painfully slow.  Does anyone have any tips for
> making it faster?

I did this recently and cut the time from about an hour and thirty
minutes to just under twenty minutes for an 8 GB disk by using a
block size that equals the cylinder size. I don't remember the
calculation - it was last week, after all - but I think you multiply
the size of the sector (usually 512 bytes) by the sectors per
track and multiply by the number of heads. dd allows you to
multiply on the command line using 'x'.

dkw