[svlug] Debian desktops from Gnome to KDE?

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Tue Jul 8 16:41:46 PDT 2003

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:27:27AM -0700, Erik Steffl (steffl at bigfoot.com) wrote:
>
>>Karsten M. Self wrote:
>>
>>>on Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 11:24:04PM -0400, J C Lawrence (claw at kanga.nu)

>>>What I meant was:  fvwm2 was _the_ bog-standard window manager in those
>>>days.  Some people haven't evolved ;-^
>>
>>  fvwm is still _much_ better (for me) then any alternative I have
>>tried. nothing I have seen comes close in configurability (and resulting
>>usability).
>>
>>  perhaps some people think that change == evolution?
>

> Naw, just tweaking J C.  And you should _see_ his color schemes....

   [tweaking] aha

   [colors] the way you describe it I think I'd better not to:-)

> Back to the original poster's question for a moment, I'm merely
> reemphasizing that the requests he's making for functionality are
> addressed by virtually *every* vaguely mainstream WM.
>
> On the resource-utilization front:
>
> [karsten at superego:karsten]$ ( ps aux | head -1; ps aux | grep [a]ker )
> USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> karsten   9028  0.0  0.5  4852 2420 ?        S    Jul01   3:21 /usr/bin/WindowMaker
>

> Though I've heard flux/black box can be very light as well.
>
> Hell, I'm not one to eschew the bog-simple solution where it fits.  When
> running VNC to a Win2K desktop recently, I launched it fullscreen from a
> twm session.  The minimalism of twm means that it doesn't grab any keys
> from the VNC environment, which was convenient.

   fvwm can be just as minimal or maybe even minimaler... I used to have
two configurations, one nice and fancy for vnc over LAN and one minimal
for vnc over dsl (no gradients, few colors, no patterns etc) which I
wold switch from root menu...

> My experience with fvwm2 is that its configurability is both blessing
> and curse.  It _can_ be configured to death...but you pretty much have
> to.

   with power comes responsibility? power is a drug? :-) yes, you pretty
much have to.

> That and I've always been vaguely annoyed at the inability to distinctly
> color the frame and titlebar within fvwm2.  Not seriously annoyed, just
> vaguely....

   I guess that's not true anymore, check the screenshots at fvwm.org, e.g.:

http://fvwm.org/screenshots/Dan-desk-1280x1024.php
http://fvwm.org/screenshots/Dominik-desk1-1152x864.php
http://fvwm.org/screenshots/Windows95-desk-1280x1024.php

   now you have no excuse:-) [that I know of]

	erik