[svlug] Debian desktops from Gnome to KDE?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 7 16:35:24 PDT 2003

on Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 11:24:04PM -0400, J C Lawrence (claw at kanga.nu) wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 00:00:59 +0100
> Karsten M Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > fvwm2 (if you used GNU/Linux a long time back, say, 1997-8 or before)
>
> Goshdunit man, them's fighting words!

What I meant was:  fvwm2 was _the_ bog-standard window manager in those
days.  Some people haven't evolved ;-^

> > Depends on the distro.  Debian, for example:
>
> >     # update-alternatives -config x-window-manager
>
> Or just re-redirect the symlink in /etc/alternatives.

...which is what update-alternatives does.  Along with managing
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives.

Peace.

   How to unwedge / disable your X display manager login:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html