[svlug] Debian desktops from Gnome to KDE?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 5 16:00:59 PDT 2003

on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 08:02:44PM -0700, Steve Hill (svlug at nugrange.com) wrote:
> I have put Debian on my laptop, and have it pretty well tuned, but I
> cannot find out what the "knock-offs" are for the various desktops that
> are out there.  Some time ago, I used a window manager that allowed me
> to switch between windows with a hot key, and also allowed me to drag
> and drop apps from window to window.  Unfortunately, I got out of the
> Linux world for a little over a year, and when I came back, I'm still
> confused by the flurry of desktops, and even then, I can't find one that
> I really like.

You should probably hunt down the usual suspects at the Window Managers
for X page:

   http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

The functionality you describe is pretty prevasive.  My own
windowmanager, WindowMaker, definitely offers it.  Other likely suspects
would be GNOME, KDE, fvwm2 (if you used GNU/Linux a long time back, say,
1997-8 or before), IceWM, Enlightenment (also just 'E'), Fluxblox,
Sawfish aka Sawmill, Blackbox....   And those are just the more common
ones.

> Is anyone aware of a table with features versus software that would
> allow me to get what I want?
>
> And while I'm at it, how does one change from on desktop to another,
> without reloading the distro??

You should *never* have to re-install your distro to make a trivial
configuration change.

Depends on the distro.  Debian, for example:

    # update-alternatives -config x-window-manager

The one surefire method is to specify your windowmanager as the last
line of ~/.xsession.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.
		        SCO vs IBM Linux lawsuit info:  http://sco.iwethey.org