[svlug] a dumb question re: linux upgrade

Brian Street brian.street at bayarea.net
Thu Jul 3 19:40:19 PDT 2003

Drew,

Thank you for your response. I definitely failed to realize all of the
libraries and other associated files that comprise the distro and are not
part of the kernel.

So, to repeat your reply, there is only so far I can go with upgrading a
kernel (major versions only) and then you must upgrade to the newer version
of the distro.

For example, I thought I might be able to upgrade a RH 6.2 kernel version
2.2.24 to the latest kernel version 2.4.x but that may prove more painful
than one would want. So, as long as I upgrade within the 2.2.x kernel it
should be fine.

Brian.