[svlug] too many users in a group

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Jul 3 10:24:58 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 02:54:17AM -0700, Ian Kluft wrote:
> >From: Karen Shaeffer <shaeffer at neuralscape.com>
> >Anybody have any ideas about this?
>
> The way we solve this where I work is to use many different group names
> with the same gid number.  I don't know if groupadd will handle it well.
> But our own home-grown tools understand it.  And more importantly, libc
> understands it on Solaris and Linux (and probably all Unixes.)
>
> groupname:x:23456:jsmith,wjones,bnguyen,cfong,...
> groupname1:x:23456:rgarcia,fujimoto,nvenkat,lbatski,...
> groupname2:x:23456:fmakoare,lonewolf,mlee,tlofberg,...
> etc...
---end quoted text---

Hi Ian,

Yes, I was thinking of all kinds of ways to get around the problem. It was a
simple solution though, just upgrading the glibc packages resolved it.

One might wonder why the server wasn't maintained with timely package
updates. But this server is very isolated in an engineering development
lab. I inherited this box from some folks and haven't had time to deal with
distribution maintenance issues. I need to deal with it, when I find some
time.

Thank you for your comments.

Karen
--