[svlug] Predicting size of CD image

William Black wjblack at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 01:11:35 PST 2003

Hi, Sean!

Glad to see there are still people working at TMTA!

The command you want is isosize(1), which reads the
appropriate info from the CD TOC.  In Debian, it's
part of the sg-utils package, but ymmv.

--bj

--- Sean McAfee <mcafee at transmeta.com> wrote:
> Greetings everyone--
>
> I'm working on some software which generates CD
> images by running the
> following command:
>
> dd if=/dev/scd0 of=image.iso
>
> I'd like to be able to find out in advance how large
> the image is going to
> be so that I can present a status thermometer for
> the reading process.
> I've tried stat(2) and fstat(2), but both return a
> size of zero when
> applied to /dev/scd0.  That's pretty much all I
> presently know to try.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to get the info I'm after?
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --Sean

=====
B.J. Black <wjblack at yahoo.com>

Penguin Nation:  Stuffed Penguins, Surreal Situations
http://penguinnation.org