[svlug] booting reiserfs rescue

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 30 16:34:13 PST 2003

on Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 06:11:36PM -0500, George Georgalis (georgw at galis.org) wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to make a network backup of an install, and
> restore that to another box with a different size disk.
>
> tomsrtbt would work fine if it supported reiser filesystems, because I'm
> using them too -- I would boot the floppy, mount and copy to device from
> nfs.

LNX-BBC and/or Knoppix will both do what you're looking for.

LNX-BBC is ~15-20M download. It provides a light, but impressive, set of
admin and recovery tools, including IIRC reiserfs support.  Knoppix, at
700MB, is rather larger, but provides a full desktop replacement system
on bootable removable media.

> rsync seems an important tool for restoring images too.
>
> the debian mkrescue program seems close to what I need, if only to get
> a shell where I can format a disk and rsync an nfs (or maybe with ssh),
> unfortunately I don't see doc on making a root filesystem, and of course
> the destination machine has a blank disk.
>
> I'm about to experiment and reverse engineer the bf2.4 install
> floppies. But just because I could not find a suitable application
> already made doesn't mean there isn't one. Any suggestions?

Peace.