[svlug] booting reiserfs rescue

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 30 15:49:27 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 06:11:36PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to make a network backup of an install, and
> restore that to another box with a different size disk.
> tomsrtbt would work fine if it supported reiser filesystems

If you want the whole filesystem, you can copy the entire partition with
dd.  You wouldn't need reiserfs support, since you wouldn't really be
interacting with the filesystem, just the partition.

After restoring the partition to a target machine, it could be resized
with parted.

In either case, check out Timo's Rescue CD set
(http://rescuecd.sourceforge.net/) as well as the Gentoo Live CD.  I
think both will have all the tools you're looking for.

-rick