[svlug] Silicon Valley's Tech Waste Problem

Ian MacLure imaclure at seagull.com
Thu Jan 30 13:55:14 PST 2003

>Art McGee <amcgee at freeshell.org>
 writes:

	[snip]

>http://chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0301280307jan28,1,4666747.story

	[snip]

>In the 1960s and 1970s, businesses including Fairchild

	A couple of blocks from my former abode.....

>Residents getting alarmed
>
>When managers from the EPA traveled to Mountain View last
>week to give citizens an update, many residents expressed
>concern that their health and property values were in
>jeopardy. "The news is always presented as `Be not
>alarmed,'" said Barbara Goodwin, who lives 1 1/2 miles from

	1 1/2 miles, lucky her.
	I could almost whiz on it from my balcony.

	[snip]

>Goodwin, 66, has lived in the valley for 10 years and has
>suffered breast cancer and chronic bronchitis. "I don't
>think it's smart to be here," said Goodwin, a former nurse.

	bronchitis, hmmmm, a mite unnerving given current
	list of aches and pains.

	I suppose if I had lived on the ground floor in a stuffy apartment I
	might be somewhat more concerned but as I typically kept windows
	( the glass kind ) more or less wide open 360 days of the year my
	exposure was probably limited.

	Can we really say this comes as a complete surprise?

Ian B MacLure                          Air Transportation Division
imaclure at seagull.com                   Seagull Technology, Inc.
--- NASA Langley On/Off-site Office    757-864-1353/757-224-4147------
http://www.seagull.com                 1700 Dell Avenue
Voice: (408)364-8200                   Campbell, CA
Fax:   (408)364-8270                   95032-2547