[svlug] SpamAssassin question

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 23 21:18:57 PST 2003

on Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:53:33PM -0800, Wayne Earl (wayne at qconcepts.net) wrote:

> I have a question concerning whitelisting. I've whitelisted a number
> of email addresses and domains for mailing lists, but honestly, I
> subscribe to so many mailing lists (some of which send email rarely),
> I can't remember all of my lists, and thus a list or two might fall
> through the whitelist crack. Does SpamAssassin report or respond to
> email that it tags as spam by default?

There's no autorespond.  Your procmail configuration can be set up to do
this if you wish.  Note that responding to sender of spam is virtually
always a bad idea.  Spammers spoof headers so that your responses
aren't seen, and the one-in-a-thousand false response you generate will
piss someone off mightily.

Spamassassin _can_ be configured to automatically report spam to razor.
This isn't a reporting tool per se, but rather an index of messages
using a hash of contents to indicate spam.  In general, this won't hurt
a mailing list -- the report is specific to a particular piece of email.
The default is that autoreporting only occurs at a threshhold of 10 or
higher -- this is only about 80-90% of your spam, but false positives
are *very* low.

I've got some SA scoring data here:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SpamEmailTrends

Peace.