[svlug] bash/readline - case insensitive history search

N. Thomas nthomas at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Jan 22 17:07:53 PST 2003

* Rick Schultz <bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net> [2003-01-22 16:11:17 -0800]:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:27:26PM -0500, N. Thomas wrote:
> > What readline variable do I set to make reverse-search-history (C-r)
> > case insensitive?
>
> Apparently, there isn't one (as of 4.3). There's
> completion-ignore-case, but that only applies to completion, not
> isearch. It doesn't look like it'd be that hard to add, though.

I was afraid of that. =-(

> > I can't search for 'select', I must type 'SELECT'. Feh!
>
> Why not just type 'select' in the first place? Identifier and key word
> names are case insensitive.

Yeah, but when Postfix is doing SQL command completion (which I use a
lot), it makes it upper case, i.e. 'up<tab' at a psql prompt gives you
'UPDATE'.

I guess I should check and see if this sort of behavior can be repressed
in psql, if not, I guess I'll have to either isearch for capital letters
or do some extra work and type out the entire command. Poor me. =-)

thomas

--
N. Thomas
nthomas at cise.ufl.edu