[svlug] Compact flash devices

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jan 21 01:47:54 PST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:36:33 -0800
Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:43:17PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Any body messed with compact flash devices under Linux?

> Yes.  But just a USB-based CF memory card reader. :^) It was fairly
> painless.

Cool -- I've interest there for a (future) camera.  Good to know.

>> Specifically booting and running off one?

> No. :^) Though I've seen some Linux- (or perhaps it was BSD-)based 1U
> rackmount box that booted off of a CF card.  They simply used an IDE
> do-hicky to let them plug in the CF card as if it were a drive.

Ahh.  I don't know the physical architecture of the device yet, not from
the vantage that Linux sees if from.  I *hope* that it appears as an ATA
drive.

> (They didn't need much disk space on the box, since all it did was
> read video from some cameras or other video source, and then pipe them
> onto the network.  Yes, it was apparently for some porn site. :^) )

Hehn.  This isn't a porn device, sort of a strange kind of embedded work.

> Based on what I saw (see above), I'd bet on it. :^)

I'd rate that a safe bet.

--
J C Lawrence