[svlug] Compact flash devices

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jan 21 01:36:33 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:43:17PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Any body messed with compact flash devices under Linux?

Yes.  But just a USB-based CF memory card reader. :^)
It was fairly painless.

> Specifically booting and running off one?

No. :^)  Though I've seen some Linux- (or perhaps it was BSD-)based
1U rackmount box that booted off of a CF card.  They simply used
an IDE do-hicky to let them plug in the CF card as if it were a drive.

(They didn't need much disk space on the box, since all it did was
read video from some cameras or other video source, and then pipe them
onto the network.  Yes, it was apparently for some porn site. :^) )

> I'll soon be looking into building a Linux device (essentially x86 PC)
> that boots and runs off a compact flash and am a little curious as to
> the state of the Linux art in that space.  Any arm waving out there?

Based on what I saw (see above), I'd bet on it. :^)

-bill!