[svlug] Rules -> was postfix

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Fri Jan 17 12:09:15 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:52:50AM -0800, William R Ward wrote:

> I think the point is that it isn't obvious how to find an RFC if you
> don't know what RFC's are.  Giving the faqs.org URL in the initial
> post would have avoided this whole subthread.

I think the point is that when it's not obvious how to find $FOO,
$SEARCH_ENGINE is your friend.

I can see asking for a URL for teardown info on a self-reciprocating
autoimmolating banderfrotz, particularly after one has checked with
Google and the like.   But the person in search of the information
is just as capable of using Google as the person providing it.
If the search fails, then (and only then) would it be appropriate to
ask for more information.

Or shall we just throw the doors wide to questions like, "How do
I install RedHat?" because it's imperative that we answer all questions
to the fullest extent possible?  Shall we ignore the lack of effort
put into finding the answer first, or asking a question with appropriate
context and detail?

If the poster looks for the information for themselves before expecting
others to lpay helpdesk, that poster may learn something in the process,
and may well discover valuable resources for future use.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org