[svlug] Building your own custom Debian distro and iso

Dan Peterson oroville_dan at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 11:49:27 PST 2003

I've played with PGI a bit but that project seems to
be completely dead and I don't think it does
everything that I'd like.  Is anyone familiar with
something that does something similar?

What I'm trying to do is create a Debian based
installer (preferably TUI) that needs very little to
no interaction from the user -- perhaps the only
information needed being the box's hostname and
network configuration information.  I'd like to have a
pre-configured partition layout (with percentages of
the entire disk space being allocated for specific
filesystems if possible?) and reiserfs on each of the
filesystems.

What do you think?  Is this asking too much?  Is there
anything out there currently that does anything like
this?  I'm curious to see if there's something that
can  then create an iso so I can burn it to cdrom (as
PGI does), else network installs would of course be
fine.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Dan