[svlug] Rules -> was postfix

Wayne Earl wayne at qconcepts.net
Fri Jan 17 10:47:41 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:22:13AM -0800 or therabouts, James Leone wrote:
> This is the way I see things:
>
> There should only be one rule, common sense.

Correct. Common sense implies that a social "rule" that is so common as
to be assumed. For common sense to remain common, it must be
communicated to new members.

> If the headers are off, or the use of English sucks, it doesn't matter
> to me, especially if what is said is reasonably understandable.

If a student writes incompetently, with poor sentence structure and
grammer, his or her teacher or parent will correct him. This is done not
to be critical per se, but to impart better communication skills to the
student.

What matters to you isn't specifically the issue. What matters to the
list as a whole is. What matters to the list is posted at:

http://www.svlug.org/policies/list-policy.shtml

> One of the rules say:
>
> "Read both mailing lists and newsgroups for one two two months before
> you post anything."
>
> That isn't very practical in my eyes.

Why?

> On the Request for Comment, I will oblige:
>
> Email is an efficient way to communicate, however these rules hamper
> efficiency, while trying to fix little annoyances.

No. These rules increase efficiency, as they create a base form by which
people can expect to communicate. This is no different then social
customs and ettiquite in the real world.

> James Leone
>
> P.S. If an issue comes up MANY times, then maybe MANY people think that
> there a change should be made.

No, it just means that new people wander on to the list, and take a
little while to get adjusted to the accepted norm, not only on this
list, but on most every list I've ever been a part of. There are
certainly exceptions to the rule, but these exceptions do not negate the
rule. Some of us are more forgiving of social rulebreaking than others.
Some of us are not.

--
Wayne Earl <wayne at qconcepts.net>
gpg public key: http://www.qconcepts.net/key.txt