[svlug] Rules -> was postfix

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Thu Jan 16 20:18:53 PST 2003

> David Masten shared:
>
>>See also the SVLUG list policies at:
>>http://www.svlug.org/policies/list-policy.shtml
>>
>>Note that this email is in violation of the policy. :/
>>
>>Dave

For a LUG, there seems to be a lot of talk of policy here. I am just
recognizing this....not pointing fingers...YET... :-D
Anyway, I am not advocating an abandonment of policy in general, but I
think as times or people change, maybe the policy should be looked at.

I have seen other Linux user groups, not too many, but a few....but they
all have different "personalities" to them.
As diverse as they are, I can see that SVLUG' personality might have
changed over time as well. Maybe so, maybe not, I haven't been here long
enough to say.
But when I look at the rules that David shared with us, it has _high
volume list_ written all over it, ala kernel.org.

If this list were to start fielding hundreds of messages a day, the
rules would, by virtue of the volume of messages, be more much more
appropriate to it than it is now.
But the issue of policy has come up often enough here that I think the
policy itself should be looked at. Even employment. (No I am not looking!)

The bottom line is that I believe that a board's policies has an impact
on its "personality", which has an impact on how many people become
involved.  I believe that they may be hampering participation to a
degree, because they no longer fit the circumstances as well as they
used to.

Now throw your tomatoes at me!!
:-P

James Leone