[svlug] Chew on this

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Thu Jan 16 16:28:34 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 03:03:28PM -0800, scott_thompson at earthlink.net wrote:
> Check out this article.  Very thought provoking.
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030116.html

There is a huge problem with the article, the premise that XP is a
windowing environment on top of DOS simply because you can get a C:
prompt is wrong. NT/Win2K/XP is a different kernel than DOS/Win9x - and
CMD (the MSDOS shell) under the NT kernel is a DOS emulator. The GUI is
intertwined in the NT/Win2K/XP kernel, not sitting on top of it.

That said, here's my version of his article: "Windows XP is not an
operating system, it's a well-written PC-crashing app."
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then
go with the drove." - Samuel Clemens