[svlug] "Mysterious" network activity(?)

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Jan 14 09:52:50 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:33:15AM -0800, Joel Seidman wrote:
> expected. But even if I haven't started a browser, about a minute or so
> after I log in to an account (either root or user), the phone is dialed
> anyway. If I subsequently hang up, it happens again maybe an hour or so
> later. I conclude that some unknown (to me) background process is
> deciding to contact something or someone on the network. What is it? Or
> how would I go about figuring out what it is?

Hello Joel,

You can id the process or processes easily. To work from the command line,
look into:

man netstat
man tcpdump
man ifconfig
man ps

learn about the /proc/ filesystem. There are docs in the kernel source code
tree under the Documentation directory.

You'll know what to do, once you id the process or processes.

cheers,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer