[svlug] LUGOD at the PC Super Show

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jan 14 02:29:28 PST 2003

Sunday was the first "PC Super Show," a new computer show and sale
(not to be confused with the ones done by MarketPro, which have been around
for many years).

It was held at one of the Holiday Inns in Sacramento, and LUGOD, the
Linux Users' Group of Davis, was there in full force!

We had 7 volunteers (one was there as a representative of OpenOffice.org)
with 4 computers (and a PDA) spanning across almost 25' of table space.
(We also had another table off to the side with flyers and handouts.)

While the event wasn't quite as well-attended as it could be, we were still
quite busy!  Along with staffing our table, we did two presentations:
one on OpenOffice.org, the other on Open Source and Linux in general.

Software demonstrated included Gnome 1.x, KDE 2.x, CrossOver Office
running Microsoft Word, XMMS, The Gimp, some games, and OpenOffice.org,
of course.

Anyway, for those interested, photos of the event are now online:

  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2003.01.12/

Thanks to everyone who came.  Special thanks to Mike Simons for coming up
from Dublin and carpooling folks from Davis; to Rusty Minden for use of his
laptop during presentations; and to Paul and Nicole for helping do the
presentations (and Nicole for running out to get lunch for us all.)

-bill!
root at lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/
Linux Users' Group of Davis

<spam>
  Come to our anniversary meeting this Monday, January 20th!
  Free food, cake, give-aways from CodeWeavers, O'Reilly and No Starch,
  and a free screening of "REVOLUTION OS"!
    http://www.lugod.org/revos/
</spam>